Tuesday 5 January 2010

Best Restaurant moment

Today’s best post is about Best Restaurant moment.

Our family doesn't really go out to restaurants unless you count McDonalds.  Okay, we do have a restaurant (which doesn't have a drive through attached) where we have eaten for the last 13 plus years but that is not the setting for  today’s best restaurant moment.  Oh and Best in this case really means memorable, okay?

Once upon a time there was a guy and a girl.  They were together for quite a while (okay really only 8 months) and eventually they went out on a date to a real restaurant.  You know the kind where you actually dress up instead of wearing jeans and they have tablecloths? There may have even been candles although it may have just been dim lighting or a fading memory.

It was a French Restaurant, which for some reason meant the food was quite expensive, served on large white plates and there was hardly any of it.  The plates were almost empty. And the service was slow. Very, very slow. It was very bizarre but it may also explain why the restaurant appeared to close not long after.

We ate dinner and I have no idea what it was.  Then we ordered desert and coffee.  Now they specifically asked us did we want the coffee with the dessert to which we had said yes!  For some reason getting coffee with desert was interpreted as give them desert and bring them coffee when you feel like it.  Which in this case turned out to be 45 minutes after the desert arrived.

So our enjoyable night out in a real restaurant with real tablecloth that we had specifically dressed up for turned into this long drawn out affair.  To make matters more interesting some time between ordering and getting dessert (which was also a very long time) Mr E. proposed.

It went something like this:

Mr E. grabbed my hand and said something along the lines of: “E., would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?” Romantic, right? He had a ring there and everything.

My response: “I think I’m going to throw up!”

Yes, I truly said that. Certainly not the response he was expecting.  No, I wasn't sick, and it wasn't food poisoning.

I did eventually say Yes. I remember holding hands and kissing and  thankfully NOT throwing up. Despite my first response to his question he still wanted to marry me and so, as they say, the rest is history.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! When Charles (my hubs proposed) he had to ask like 5 times because I thought he was joking lol. Finally after about 15 minutes and 5 questions I figured out it was a real question.

Summeranne said...

Great story, very romantic! I'm a jeans restaurant kind of girl but every now and again its nice to get dressed up and go out. Especially if you are getting proposed to!

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) said...

What a great story!

CATE said...

That is lovely and touching...and hilarious at the same time :)

 

Copyright 2011 Whining at the World | Powered by Blogger | Designed by Carly Lloyd Designs