Wednesday 14 July 2010

A culinary adventure…

Today while Girl Child went to a half day dance class, I did the groceries.  And I’m attempting something I have never attempted before:

Roast Chicken and vegetables. I hope it looks nice like this one:

MP900182710[1] 

Bet you all thought it would be much more exciting that.  Something more along the lines of PPMJ's delightful dishes.  Go on, check it out.  I’m more than happy to wait.

Back? Okay good. Yes, I choose that link because they were having roast Chicken one night too. But the Pork loin did it for me!

So you may be wondering how I have so artfully managed to get away with never having cooked a roast chicken before?  In part it is due to my complete lack of both cooking skill and enthusiasm for being in the kitchen. But it probably mostly comes down to the first time I cooked Mr E a roast (in fact I think it may have been the first meal I ever cooked him).  You see I was doing a rolled roast in the electric frypan and I think that’s because it’s what my mother advised me to do.  Unfortunately despite getting instructions I either didn’t get told to or completely missed the step about turning the meat over.

I can’t remember much about that meal and hindsight that may be a good thing.  But Mr E stuck around and has cooked pretty much every roast that we have ever had since that fateful day.  He also does the corned beef / corned lamb / pickled pork if we when have those too.

Now it’s sounds as though I am rarely feeding the family. Not True!  I do cook most nights.  We just tend to eat mostly curries, stir-fries, pastas and the very exciting  meat and 3 veg.   But I do bake, occasionally, as you know.  Remember these Blueberry Muffins? It’s not all bad though, Girl child and I made Chocolate Chip Cookies this afternoon and they are yummy. 

I’ll let you know how dinner turns out.

Cue Twilight Zone Music……

Dinner was nice if I do say so myself.  And Mr E said now two people in the family can do roasts.  It must have been all right. But I have to admit it didn't look as nice as the one in that picture.

2 comments:

Diminishing Lucy said...

Let him do it forever. Get him a Weber for Christmas, save the drama. (This is what I have done, and I can cook a roast, but who can be arsed most days?!) xx

Anonymous said...

Nothing ever looks as nice as the picture. :(

 

Copyright 2011 Whining at the World | Powered by Blogger | Designed by Carly Lloyd Designs